Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Invisible child

After reading the NY Times piece Invisible child, I am left with many questions. The biggest question I am left with, is What is she doing now? The ending to the article is horrible in my opinion, and if leaves readers with many more questions. I don't know why the author couldn't bring the article to a satisfying conclusion, instead it was a cliff hanger. After reading the whole article and pondering the family's financial struggle, I feel that they could have broken away from their generational poverty. Instead of buying and trafficking drugs, they could have been saving money. The fact that street drugs are expensive is widely known, and the little money that was coming in to their household, was going straight back out onto the street. In addition to drugs, the family also had many other unhealthy spending habits. In the pictures of their shelter we are able to see plenty of clothes, bicycles, and other various electronics. I understand that clothes are important, but the rest is unnecessary. We see a Nintendo Wii and a flat screen sitting on top of a milk crate, a DVD player is also mentioned throughout the article. While all of those electronics might be fun, they are not necessary. Instead of trying to get ahead with their money, they immediately spend it on other unnecessary items, like supreme's gold teeth. I think they need to be more frugal with their money, so they can get ahead and move out.

I see many qualities in Dasani that I also see in myself. In the article, the reader sees how Dasani takes care of her siblings, and maintains there somewhat household. My Dad used to take many many business trips that were often multiple nights long, and consecutive weeks in a row. During those times and now I still try to take care of my siblings, and maintain the house. I watch by brothers when my Mom is not home, and try to take care of them when my Mom needs help. I also take care of the house, and preform maintenance around it. I mow the lawn, and do a lot of the landscaping. I fix things that break, and make sure everything works.

If I could say anything to Dasani, I would congratulate her. She stayed strong throughout her whole life although times were tough. On top of it all, she lands herself a spot on a championship athletic team. I know I wouldn't have been able to live through some parts of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment